Yeah, so that is my area. It was pretty crazy. It happened on Thursday right after lunch - we looked up at the sky and it was like a huge cloud of smoke. It just kept going. We thought that the church was gone. There were members who lost their houses - in total there were about 300 houses that burned down, but no one died, thank goodness. Since Thursday, we have been helping out with everything that needs to be done. Then, on Sunday, we had about 700 members from all parts of Chile come to help in what ever way they could. So yeah, I finally got to be a part of Mormon Helping Hands. It is crazy how good the church is at organizing relief efforts. We had one member family lose their house - they are the best family, so humble. It is sad to see that their house is gone, but they keep their heads up. I want to do so much for them.
I hit my 10 month mark today. I can't believe that I have been out for 10 months already. We have changes next week, so we will see what happens after that.
It was a busy, memorable, emotional week.
I am so tired writing right now. I just want to sleep. I think I will do that after I finish here.
I know that this church is true and that even in times of need, God hears our prayers. During the fire, I never felt panic. I felt comfort that everything was going to be OK. I know that He is always there when we need him.
I love you guys so much.
Viaje Seguro,
Elder Kyle Griffeth
Chile battles worst fire in Valparaiso in 2 decades, hundreds evacuated
Published February 14, 2013
Associated Press
- SANTIAGO, Chile – A forest fire that engulfed a hill in the Chilean port city of Valparaiso destroyed at least 70 homes and forced the evacuation of more than 500 families, officials said on Thursday.
Chile's emergency office, ONEMI, issued a red alert after the blaze broke out on the city's San Roque hill, some 75 miles (120 kilometers) northeast of the capital, Santiago.
Strong, changing winds and high temperatures at the peak of the Southern Hemisphere's summer holiday season stoked the fire. Valparaiso Regional Gov. Raul Celis called it "the city's worst blaze in two decades."
No comments:
Post a Comment